Happy Almost New Year! 2010 is almost here and everyone is talking about their resolutions so I thought I would share mine. I feel like 2010 is going to be a very exciting year for me and that I am going to learn a lot.
I have talk a few times about the experiment that I am going to do, but I will go ahead and set up the groud rules here.
- Grow whatever I can, including cotton. I don’t have the hugest garden, so some things may be grow inside or in containers outside as space allows.
- I am requiring myself to MAKE everything else. I will be learning to sew. Knitting up a storm. Cooking like mad (and sharing recipes!) I have done a lot of research and it turns out that for very little money I can make almost everything I need from soap to lip balm to no-poo (the shampoo alternative). I have decided that this is my chance to not only save money but cut harmful chemicals out of my life. There are only I few things that I cannot make. They are; bras, shaving razors, car parts, shoes, toothbrushes, pasta* and computer parts. I will also take up spinning again because I feel like it is a valuable skill.
- I am allowed one (1) Wild Card day per month in which I am allowed to indulge myself in any way I see fit.
- Unless I need yarn to finish a project I will be “shopping” from my own yarn stash. Not only did I receive some GREAT yarn for Christmas (pictures soon) but I have a ton more laying around! I really need to knit through some of the stash before I can justify buying more. If I get it as a gift that is okay, but otherwise NO NEW YARN!
- I am going back to school starting January 8th and I will resolve to do whatever it takes to get straight A’s!
- I am allowed to buy SUPPLIES during my experiment.
- If I have to buy medicine that I cannot make, I am considering this to be acceptable.
Those are all my resolutions for the new year. I will take pictures of my groceries each time I shop to keep myself honest.In order to reduce waste, I will be using up my current stock of bath & health products until they are gone. There is no sense in throwing away things that are perfectly good!
What do you have planned for the New Year?
*Note: I realize that I can make pasta myself, but in most cases it is just faster to buy pre-made. Also, I made not always have the time to make my own pasta.
**I also have a bread machine that I will be using to make my own bread. I don’t consider this cheating!